One of my earliest childhood memories of joyfulness was taking my friends down to the corner sandlot and exploring. In there, among the trees and the bushes and sandpits we could find a world of adventure, away from the grownups, exploring “nature”. Or, were we exploring our own nature?
Since then I’ve morphed into a what I thought a grownup should be, and spent most of my life putting away the sandlot explorations in pursuit of the almighty dollar. With the market crash of 2008-2009, some of those dollars vanished. I wondered if my quest for sandlot adventures had vanished too.
With some nudging from a dear spiritual teacher, I discovered that the world was still my sandlot. I enjoyed being in nature, and photography became my focusing lens to help me to concentrate on beauty and the seeing of it.
Photography has brought me many benefits:
- The busy one who has been chasing the buck has found beauty and an increased intelligence about what my emotions are telling me (gift of feeling)
- The introverted one who is unsure around others has found confidence (gift of self-esteem)
- The quiet, reserved soul has found a way to connect with others (gift of leadership)
- The Capricorn soul who is always carrying such burdens of doingness has had his load enlightened (gift of wisdom)
- The sandlot explorer has reclaimed his childhood joy of discovery by capturing the beauty of the world (gift of wonder)
What a beautiful place! Waterfalls! Sunrises! Sunsets! The Moon and Stars! Canyons! Mountains! Rivers! Oceans!
Beauty helps us to recognize who we are. We are all explorers, and creators of our own lives. Let us share in the joy of creating with the One who created all. It starts in the choices of the mind …
“The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.” ~~ John Milton
My wish for you in this season of Light — Have a Joyful, Heavenly Holiday, and an Amazingly Beautiful 2018!
— Harry Hitzeman